The intern must be enrolled in or have completed the necessary University of Iowa MR online coursework in order to begin the clinical internship offered at MMC-NI.
Proof of the enrollment must be present the first day of the internship to proceed. If the student should drop their online classes, they will not be permitted to continue with clinicals.
Applicants must be graduates of a JRCERT accredited radiography program or submit proof of enrollment in a radiography program at the interview.
Intern will need to comply with items stated in the MMC-NI self-directed learning contract, which includes the expectation to take the ARRT registry examination at the conclusion of the internship.
The intern must provide proof of the following documentation prior to starting the internship:
- ARRT certification (upon radiography graduation)
- MRI Safety Checklist (to include: no pacemakers, certain implanted devices, hearing aids or prosthetics that could be affected by the magnetic field)
- Professional liability insurance through ASRT-endorsed Healthcare Providers Service Organization (HPSO)
- Completed AGO (Alternative General Orientation) if new or returning to the organization
- Immunizations, including current TB test
- Cleared background check
- Cleared drug screen
- Cleared pre-employment physical
- BLS and Mandatory Reporting Certification
- Completion of U of I courses: Sectional Anatomy for Imaging Science and Fundamentals for the MRI Technologist
676:100 Sectional Anatomy for Imaging Sciences (3 sh)
674:110 Fundamentals for the MRI Technologist (3 sh)
674:120 MRI Procedures I (4 sh)
674:140 MRI Acquisition and Principles I (3 sh)
676:110 Pathology for Imaging Sciences (3 sh) Optional; unless degree-seeking
674:130 MRI Procedures II, Optional; unless degree-seeking
674:150 MRI Acquisition and Principles II, Optional; unless degree-seeking
2016 ARRT changes: minimum of 16 hours of coursework prior to registry examination.
Class available through the U of I’s Center for Credit Programs’ Distance Education (division of Continuing Education). Fees are approximately $250/semester hour plus the cost of books. www.continuetolearn.uiowa.edu/ccp/de/derules/. Non-resident tuition may apply to those living outside of Iowa.
Degree-Seeking opportunity: University of Iowa B.S. Radiation Sciences
If intern wishes to seek a Bachelor’s degree in conjunction with the internship there are other qualifications, applications and fees at the U of I. Our clinical internship would NOT transfer to the U of I to fulfill the B.S. elective requirements (but the online coursework may). Contact Jenny Maiers (319) 353-9110 or visit www.medicine.uiowa.edu/RadSci/ for more information on BS degree
Application Deadline: Due by early December for the following summer start date.
Promising applicants are invited for personal interviews with the Admissions Committee. The Admission Committee considers all aspects of each applicant's record and offers admission to the best-qualified individuals. Positive applicant attributes include maturity, previous MRI experience, an aptitude for academic achievement, strong attendance history/records, customer-service focus, knowledge of and motivation toward a career in MRI.
MMC-NI does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, color, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or associational preference.
No fee; it is an unpaid position
- Background check – approximately $15 (Human Resources)
- Current TB test – approximately $15 at County Public Health Office or can do it an your physicians office but cost is variable depending on your health insurance coverage
- Pre-employment physical – approximately $125 (Healthworks)
- Drug Screen collection and processing fee – approximately $40 (Healthworks)
- BLS course fee, if not current
- Mandatory reporting course fee, if not current
- Professional liability insurance (www.hpso.com) approximately $100/year
Clinical Start Date: between July & August (1 intern)
Clinical Length: Minimum of 6 months, average 8 months, not to exceed 9 months.
Clinical Hours: 32 hrs/week with one day off to allow time for personal appointments, coursework, etc.
Schedules to be determined by MRI supervisor to ensure best opportunities to secure needed ARRT exams. Hours will typically vary between 7:30-4 and 8-4:30 Monday-Friday.
Intern will be required to follow and be in compliance with Mercy attendance policies.
Up to 5 days allowed in case of illness or emergency. If additional time is needed, it will be added on to the minimum length of the program.
- Mercy Credit Union may offer low-interest rate student loans.
- X-ray student loan payments to the Mercy Credit Union may be deferred if provided proper documentation of the internship
- Potential Financial Aid through U of I if decide you are ‘degree-seeking’.
Potential course sequencing for the 2nd year x-ray student planning to start Summer internship after graduation:
Spring term (Jan-May)
676:100 Sectional Anatomy (offered Spring/Summer/Fall terms)
Summer term (May-July)
674:110 Fundamentals for the MRI Technologist
674:120 MRI Procedures I
674:140 MRI Acquisition & Principles I
Mercy Internship Clinicals
Finish Mercy Internship Clinicals
676:110 Pathology for Imaging Sciences Optional; unless degree-seeking
674:130 MRI Procedures II Optional; unless degree-seeking
674:150 MRI Acquisition & Principles II Optional; unless degree-seeking
For further information contact:
Mindy Mutschler – (641) 428-6079 or email@example.com