What is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)?
HBOT is one of several advanced wound care treatments provided by Mercy's Advanced Wound Center. HBOT allows a patient to breathe 100% oxygen 2 - 3 times greater than atmospheric pressure and is administered on a daily basis. The result is an increase of 10 - 15 times in plasma oxygen concentration. By forcing more oxygen inot the tissue, HBOT encourages the formation of new blood vessels. As these new blood vessels develop, the red blood cells start to flow, delivering even more oxygen to the affected area. This creates the optimal environment for the body's natural healing processes to repair damaged tissue.
During Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, patients relax in special chambers and therapy is monitored by expertly trained technicicans that work in collaboration with onsite physicians.
Who is a candidate for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy?
People with the following diagnoses are commonly referred for HBOT:
- Diabetic Wounds of the Lower Extremities
- Soft Tissue Radionecrosis
- Compromised Flaps and Grafts
- Chronic Refractory Osteomyelitis
- Acute Peripheral Arterial Insufficiency
- Progressive Necrotizing Infections
- Crush Injuries
What are the benefits of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy?
- Helps oxygenate dying tissue, preventing tissue (and potential limb) loss.
- Reduces swelling and discomfort.
- Helps treat infection by enhancing white blood cell activity.
- Stimulates the growth of new blood vessels.
- Improves blood flow to compromised organs.
If you are experiencing a chronic or non-healing wound, please call us at 641-428-5932. You do not need a referral and we ARE excepting new patients.
1501 4th Street SW Mason City, Iowa 50401 641-428-5932 or 800-433-3883