Although 90% of hospice care is delivered in the home setting, patients sometimes meet criteria for hospital admission for short-term care. Hospice of North Iowa may be able to provide this care in local hospitals through a contract arrangement with the hospital.
Hospice rooms may be used for:
- Acute care: To make the patient more comfortable by providing pain and symptom management.
- Respite: To provide relief for the caregiver by providing care for the patient in an inpatient setting for up to five days.
Other special circumstances are considered on an individual basis.
- Hospice rooms provide the patient and family with a home-like environment during the hospital stay.
- Special accommodations are made for the comfort of the family.
- Hospice of North Iowa staff continue to visit the patient, and work together with the hospital staff to maintain continuity in the plan of care.
- Hospital staff provide the direct care for the patient.
- Use of a Hospice room is subject to the availability of the room at the time of admission.
Payment for Hospice Rooms:
- Medicare, Medicaid and some insurance companies will pay for services provided in the hospital's hospice room. Deductibles and co-payments may apply. Hospice of North Iowa staff will discuss any financial responsibilities before finalizing arrangements with the hospital.
Hospice rooms are available for Hospice of North Iowa patients in the following hospitals:
Ellsworth Municipal Hospital
Iowa Falls, Iowa
Floyd County Memorial Hospital
Charles City, Iowa
Franklin General Hospital
Hancock County Memorial Hospital
Mitchell County Regional Health Center
Other hospitals also provide inpatient services to hospice patients, though not in a designated room.