What is Family Connections?
Family Connections is a team of nurses, social workers and early childhood educators who offer resources and programs for pregnant and parenting families in North Iowa. We provide comprehensive home visits for residents of Cerro Gordo, Hancock and Worth counties as well as parent education classes available for individuals in all counties. We are a listening ear and a helping hand.
Who We Serve:
As a part of Mercy Medical Center – North Iowa's Birth Center and Pediatric Unit, we are here to help you before and after your delivery; all the way until your children are five years old, if needed. You may enroll in our program at any time during your pregnancy or your children's first five years.
How WE can help YOU:
For Pregnant Families
- Prenatal Care and education for healthy pregnancies; physical changes and discomfort; emotional needs; fetal growth and development education.
- Parenting and child development classes on various topics.
- Postpartum depression support.
For Parenting Families
- Child Development Education at each milestone.
- Ages & Stages screenings 0 – 5 year old for gross and fine motor skills, language development and problem solving.
- Community Closet for families including formula, bottles, diapers and clothing.
- Support for single, teen and first time parenting.
- Assistance with sibling rivalry, bed time routines, stress management and behavior management.
How You Can Help Us:
Family Connections has been serving families in North Iowa for the past 18 years and is completely funded by grants and donations. Please help us continue to serve North Iowa families for many years to come.
- Donate to our Community Closet. We are in need of: unopened bottles of formula; new bottles; gently used clothing size newborn to 5T; diapers and baby wipes; baby blankets and education toys
- Monetary donations
- Participate in our fundraising events
- Host a drive to collect needed items on our wish list
- Donate your time and talents; i.e. sewing/crocheting blankets, hats, booties, etc.
- Tell your friends and family about our services.
What People Are Saying About Us:
"As a RN in the Birth Center, I see Family Connections as an important part of ensuring our new babies are transitioning home with parents who are ready to parent. My only wish is that more families used this program....it offers great opportunities for families to learn how to care for their children so they have the best possible start."
-Karen Christensen-Saleh, RN
"I can honestly say, if I didn't have Family Connections to support me during my son's first 3 years, I would not have been a successful parent. Family Connections taught me parenting is an honor and how lucky I am to be a mother. I learned how to nurture my son and gain confidence in myself."
Visit us on Facebook and Pinterest
To receive more information, contact:
Sydney Crippen, Family Connections Coordinator
641-428-2525 or 1-800-433-3883 ext. 82525