This is clinical internship is offered in partnership with the University of Iowa’s Computed Tomography distance education. The intern must be enrolled in or have successfully completed the necessary U of I’s online coursework in order to begin the clinical internship.
Proof of the online course enrollment or completion must be present the first day of the internship to proceed. If the student should drop their online classes, they will not be permitted to continue with clinical internship.
Applicants must be graduates of a JRCERT accredited radiography program or submit proof of enrollment in a radiography program at the interview.
Intern will need to comply with items stated in the MMC-NI self-directed learning contract, which includes the expectation to take the ARRT registry examination at the conclusion of the internship.
The intern must provide proof of the following documentation prior to starting the internship:
U of I Online Coursework –
View full information from University of Iowa Online
676:100 Sectional Anatomy for Imaging Sciences (3 sh)
675:110 Vascular Anatomy (3 sh)
676:120 CT Procedures I (3 sh)
676:130 CT Physical Principles and Quality Control (4 sh)
676:110 Pathology for Imaging Sciences (3 sh) Optional; unless degree-seeking
676:220 CT Procedures II (3 sh) Optional; unless degree-seeking
Classes available through the U of I’s Center for Credit Programs’ Distance Education (division of Continuing Education). Online course fees are approximately $232/semester hour plus the cost of books. Contact www.continuetolearn.uiowa.edu/ccp/de/derules/ to register.
Degree-Seeking opportunity: University of Iowa B.S. Radiation Sciences
If intern wishes to seek a Bachelor’s degree in conjunction with the internship there are other qualifications, applications and fees at the U of I. Our clinical internship would NOT transfer to the U of I to fulfill the B.S. elective requirements (but the online coursework may). Contact Jenny Maiers (319) 353-9110 or visit www.medicine.uiowa.edu/RadSci/ for more information on BS degree
Application Deadline for clinical internship: Due by early December for the following summer start date & mid-July for the following February.
Promising applicants are invited for personal interviews with the Admissions Committee. The Admission Committee considers all aspects of each applicant's record and offers admission to the best-qualified individuals. Positive applicant attributes include maturity, previous CT and/or MRI experience, an aptitude for academic achievement, strong attendance history/records, customer-service focus, knowledge of and motivation toward a career in CT.
MMC-NI does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, color, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or associational preference.
Clinical Internship Costs: No fee; it is an unpaid position
- Background check – approximately $15 (Human Resources)
- Current TB test – approximately $15 at County Public Health Office or can do it an your physicians office but cost is variable depending on your health insurance coverage
- Pre-employment physical – approximately $125 (Healthworks)
- Possible CRT testing – approximately $125 (Healthworks)
- Drug Screen collection and processing fee – approximately $40 (Healthworks)
- BLS course fee, if not current
- Mandatory reporting course fee, if not current
- Professional Liability Insurance
Clinical Start Date: mid-August (1 intern) & mid- February (1 intern)
Clinical Length: Minimum of 6 months, average 7 months, not to exceed 8 months.
- 32 hrs/week with one day off to allow time for personal appointments, etc.
- Schedules to be determined by CT supervisor to ensure best opportunities to secure needed ARRT exams. Hours will typically vary between 7:30-4 and 8-4:30 Monday-Friday with a few weeks of evening shifts.
- Intern will be required to follow and be in compliance with Mercy attendance policies.
Up to 5 days allowed in case of illness or emergency. If additional time is needed, it will be added on to the minimum length of the program.
- Mercy Credit Union will offer low-interest rate student loans up to interns.
- X-ray student loan payments to the Mercy Credit Union will be deferred if provided proper documentation of the internship
- Potential Financial Aid through U of I if decide you are ‘degree-seeking’.
Sequencing for the 2nd year x-ray student / applicant planning to start FALL internship:
- Spring term (Jan-May)
676:100 Sectional Anatomy (offered spring/summer/fall)
- Summer term (May-July)
675:110 Vascular Anatomy (offered spring/summer/fall)
- Fall term
676:120 CT Procedures I (only offered in fall)
676:130 CT Physical Principles and Quality Control (only offered in fall)
Start Mercy Internship Clinicals
- Spring term
Finish Mercy Internship Clinicals
Optional; unless degree-seeking : 676:110 Pathology for Imaging Sciences (3 sh)
Optional; unless degree-seeking: 676:220 CT Procedures II (3 sh)
Sequencing for the 2nd year x-ray student/ applicant planning to start SPRING internship:
- Fall term -starts Aug 22, 2011
676:100 Sectional Anatomy (co-req for Procedures)
676:120 CT Procedures I (only offered in fall)
676:130 CT Physical Principles and QC (only offered in fall)
- Spring term 2012 (Jan-May)
675:110 Vascular Anatomy
Mercy Internship clinicals start in January --unless Fall intern finishes early --may be option of starting sooner.
There are 2 other courses that are optional, unless seeking a 4-year degree at U of I:
676:110 Pathology for Imaging Sciences (3 sh – spring 2012)
676:220 CT Procedures II (3 sh – Spring 2012)
For further information contact:
Mindy Mutschler – (641) 428-6079