A camp held each year, designed to help youth
who have experienced the death of a loved one.
Next camp is scheduled for Saturday, September 21, 2013, at Camp Tanglefoot in Clear Lake, Iowa.
- Camp Greentree offers youth ages 7 to 14 the chance to gain coping skills, as well as the opportunity to meet others who have experienced the death of a family member or friend. Anyone who has felt the effects of the death of a loved one is welcome to take advantage of the Camp Greentree services.
- Bereavement staff at Hospice of North Iowa recognize the need to assist area youth through this painful and confusing adjustment. Camp Greentree is staffed by professionals and volunteers trained to facilitate the camp experience.
- "Our goal is to help children understand the grieving process and normalize their feelings in a caring, supportive atmosphere, which includes opportunities for fun activities," said Kim Peterson, HNI Manager of Social Support Services.
- Each session offers camp participants the opportunity to share how they feel with their peers, as well as provide education, support and indoor/outdoor recreation. Camp participants can look forward to many activities including: swimming, boating, scavenger hunts, campfires and art activities. Activities are selected to promote a better understanding of the grieving process and help youth to recognize healthy and appropriate ways to express their feelings to cope with loss.
- Camp Greentree is free of charge. This is made possible by generous donations from businesses, organizations and individuals who support Hospice of North Iowa's mission.
- Those who have not been served by Hospice of North Iowa are welcome to attend.
- Advanced registration is required.
If your family or someone you know could benefit from the camp experience, please contact Hospice of North Iowa at 641-428-6208 or 1-800-297-4719, or click here for an application form. Once completed, mail to Hospice of North Iowa, 232 2nd Street SE, Mason City, IA 50401. You may also contact us through email: email@example.com.