The Mercy Center for Breast Health strives to relieve anxieties an individual experiences when breast health concerns develop. The breast center's three-fold emphasis on education, advocacy, and counseling focuses on the holistic needs of it's clients. The center's presence ensures an element of caring in the coordination of quality health care services.
Breast health involves more than just breast cancer. It includes symptoms and concerns such as breast tenderness, discharge, fibrocystic problems, lumps, or any other concerns involving both the adult and adolescent male or female breast. The case manager at the breast center matches the needs of the client with services, to provide continuity of care and optimal health outcomes. Some of the key services provided follow:
- Serves as a community resource for breast health information and services. Presents programs to community organizations on breast health issues.
- Works with physicians in coordinating care and offering personal assistance and support to anyone with a breast cancer diagnosis.
- Finds physician services for those in need of medical care.
- Provides clinical breast exams and referrals for mammograms.
- Teaches Breast Self-Examination (BSE).
- Coordinates referrals to the Iowa Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program
To contact the Mercy Center for Breast Health program coordinator, please call 641-428-6008 or 1-800-433-3883, ext. 86008.