|Back to Main Print This Page Email to a Friend|
Blood lead level is a test that measures the amount of lead in the blood.
Blood lead levels
A blood sample is needed. Most of the time blood is typically drawn from a vein located on the inside of the elbow or the back of the hand.
In infants or young children, a sharp tool called a lancet may be used to puncture the skin.
No special preparation is needed.
For children, it may be helpful to explain how the test will feel and why it is done. This may make the child feel less nervous.
You may feel slight pain or a sting when the needle is inserted. You may also feel some throbbing at the site after the blood is drawn.
This test is used to screen people at risk for lead poisoning. This may include industrial workers and children who live in urban areas. The test is also used to measure how well treatment for lead poisoning is working.
Lead is common in the environment so it is often found in the body in low levels. Small amounts in adults are not thought to be harmful. However, even low levels of lead can be dangerous to infants and children. It can cause lead poisoning that leads to problems in mental development.
Note: dL = deciliter
Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. Talk to your doctor about the meaning of your specific test results.
The examples above show the common measurements for results for these tests. Some laboratories use different measurements or may test different specimens.
Adults who have been exposed to lead should have blood lead levels below 40 micrograms/dL. Treatment is recommended if:
Markowitz M. Lead poisoning. In: Kliegman RM, Stanton BF, St. Geme JW, Schor NF, Behrman RE, eds. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011:chap 702.
McGuigan MA. Chronic poisoning: trace metals and others. In: Goldman L, Schafer AI, eds. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011:chap 21.